Beginner seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

RICH

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2013
Messages
64
Points
0
Location
Bucks county,Pa.
I've only bought my tobacco so far,and after checking out this site I'm thinking of giving the growing a try. Can anyone point me in the right direction on which seeds would be best for growing here in eastern Pa.? I would like something that's fool proof (and I mean training wheel easy) that would give me a decent mild/medium filler and maybe a smooth wrapper leaf also. Also I live in town so I don't have a lot of room.Any and all ideas are welcome,thanks in advance.
 

Jitterbugdude

Moderator
Founding Member
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
4,266
Points
113
Location
Northeast Maryland
If you ask 10 people on this sight you are gonna get 11 different answers...:)
With that said I would recommend Vuelta Abajo. It is a nice mild cigar and you can use it for filler, binder and wrapper making a nice puro. The plant grows about 4 feet tall.
If you wanted to spice it up just a bit you could add Florida Sumatra for a wrapper.
 

Knucklehead

Moderator
Founding Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2012
Messages
12,777
Points
113
Location
NE Alabama
I have been slowly smoking a Vuelta Abajo cigar that JBD sent me, trying to make it last as long as possible. I agree with everything he said. However, I have no experience with Fl. Sumatra, but I do hear good things about it.
 

BarG

Founding Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2011
Messages
5,120
Points
113
Location
Texas, Brazos Vally
I have been slowly smoking a Vuelta Abajo cigar that JBD sent me, trying to make it last as long as possible. I agree with everything he said. However, I have no experience with Fl. Sumatra, but I do hear good things about it.

It Gets better with age. It is one of my new favorites kilned and rested for a while.
When I say age it means I have none more than 6 months. Except WLT and BigBonners stash.
 

Knucklehead

Moderator
Founding Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2012
Messages
12,777
Points
113
Location
NE Alabama
It Gets better with age. It is one of my new favorites kilned and rested for a while.
When I say age it means I have none more than 6 months. Except WLT and BigBonners stash.

The abajo or Fl. Sumatra? I think you sent me some Fl. Sumatra, but I've been waiting on the Nicaraguan to come before I try it. I guess I should go ahead and wrap it around some Dominican and give it a try.
 

RICH

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2013
Messages
64
Points
0
Location
Bucks county,Pa.
Licenciados (5x50) are my mild/med cigars that I smoke when I'm doing yard work or taking the dogs for a walk,so I'm not upset if I have to toss it before it's done. I've got H.upman's,JR Ultimate and alt.cigars,there's a box of Don Diegos and about 50 other "unmatched" including a half dozen Cubans. My humidor is an old (1960's) aluminum Hamm's beer cooler so it holds a lot, I probally have around 180 cigars.But to answer your question,I would like to grow something that would equal the Licenciados to start out my rolling experience.
 

bondo007man

Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2013
Messages
15
Points
0
Location
Cincinnati, Ohio
Sorry to drop in your thread OP but I have a question on the same topic. Which is can you use the same tobacco leaf for your filler,binder, and wrapper? I dont know how uncommon this is but I want to get my feet wet rolling and dont want to order 100$ in different leafs if I dont need too. Thanks
 

Ashauler

Well-Known Member
Founding Member
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
179
Points
18
Location
Kansas
Sorry to drop in your thread OP but I have a question on the same topic. Which is can you use the same tobacco leaf for your filler,binder, and wrapper? I dont know how uncommon this is but I want to get my feet wet rolling and dont want to order 100$ in different leafs if I dont need too. Thanks
To answer your question, yes, you can.
Check out wholeleaftobacco.com......there is a cigar sampler there that may be what you're looking for.
 

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
May 25, 2011
Messages
26,523
Points
113
Location
near Blacksburg, VA
Bondo,
It often comes down to the practical matter of the physical condition of the leaf. Blending is always nice, but I've rolled many a cigar as a puro of the same variety. But this assumes you can find two leaf strips (a half-leaf for binder and a half-leaf for the wrapper) that have few or no holes, among a supply of leaf that has been selected and graded as filler grade. For home-grown, wrapper-grade leaf may represent between 10 and 80% of the leaf on a plant. Some tobacco varieties yield a higher percentage of wrapper grade than others.

Bob
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top