Shade tree tabacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
May 25, 2011
Messages
26,539
Points
113
Location
near Blacksburg, VA
Growing tobacco under a canopy of shade cloth causes the plants to grow taller, and the leaves to grow much larger and thinner. This is used for production of thin cigar wrapper. (The total weight of tobacco leaf per plant appears to change little.)

Growing tobacco beneath a shade tree may or may not work out well. The extensive root system of a tree (usually estimated to extend as far out from the trunk as the widest part of the upper tree) may draw away sufficient moisture and nutrients from the soil to severely stunt the growth of the tobacco grown within its shade. On the other hand, if you have taller, more distant trees that provide substantial shade to the tobacco during much of the day, the results may be worth the effort.

Bob
 

Bika

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2012
Messages
80
Points
0
Location
Dallas Tx
I made a pretty big shadded area out of PVC and shad cloth. So that is good that there are no trees around. I just thought it was called shade tree tobacco, for just the name. I did notice the thines of my leaves, and also they are some frekin big leaves.
 

johnlee1933

Moderator
Founding Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2011
Messages
3,970
Points
0
Location
Near Danbury, CT
I made a pretty big shadded area out of PVC and shad cloth. So that is good that there are no trees around. I just thought it was called shade tree tobacco, for just the name. I did notice the thines of my leaves, and also they are some frekin big leaves.
The commercial growers use 40% shade cloth 9' above the ground. All perimeter sides are also covered with the shade cloth to minimize wind damage and moisture loss. An added atvantage is many insects are kept out of the patch. This means when you spray, the bugs inside die and new ones have a problem getting in. I am talking about CT shade here. I know nothing about other shade plantings.

My patch has about 40% shade from tall far away trees plus I am a raised bed grower. I grew several varieties this year with the CT shade topping 12'. I don't know much about production leaf count/weight and it is of little interest to me as a hobby grower but all seemed to do well.

John
 

notcrack

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2012
Messages
194
Points
0
Location
Bournemouth, UK
I made a pretty big shadded area out of PVC and shad cloth. So that is good that there are no trees around. I just thought it was called shade tree tobacco, for just the name. I did notice the thines of my leaves, and also they are some frekin big leaves.

My new favourite post on this whole forum. It literally brims with can do spirit and a slightly nihilistic thought process. My hat is off to you, you magnificent bastard.
 

Bika

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2012
Messages
80
Points
0
Location
Dallas Tx
Well I think thank you. I did have to tie all 4 corners down to keep it from shifting but it is 10' feet tall and works well.
My new favourite post on this whole forum. It literally brims with can do spirit and a slightly nihilistic thought process. My hat is off to you, you magnificent bastard.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top