A Couple Mild Smokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris A

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2012
Messages
286
Points
28
Location
Central Illinois
IMG-20140415-00224.jpg

After rolling some stronger cigars a couple weeks ago, thought I'd try some a little milder. The above was Dominican Seco & Ligero in 4/1 ratio, Aleman binder, and Johnlee's 2012 CT Shade tops that Don H. was nice enough to share. The wrapper was beautiful and rolled almost perfectly. Taste was mild and fairly one dimensional, didn't really change much from start to finish, but this is a classic Dominican taste. I loved it.

The second cigar was Big Bonner's Havana filler, Nic Viso binder, and CT shade I purchased before I found this site. I do love the Havana, very mild but the taste just suits me. Johnlee got me to try the Havana and I was thinking of him as I smoked this one. Never met him, but somehow he seemed like an old friend.
 

Gdaddy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2014
Messages
675
Points
43
Location
Lake Mary, Fl
Great looking cigar and thanks for sharing the blending info. I'm thinking about ordering some Dominican ligero and seco. So far only had the Nicaraguan.
 

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
May 25, 2011
Messages
26,547
Points
113
Location
near Blacksburg, VA
Pretty cigar. Nice rolling. FmGrowit's Ecuador Shade will make a similarly mild and light colored wrapper, but with more flavor than CT Shade.

I still have a bag of very small CT Shade leaves from Johnlee1933. Sometimes I add a single leaf of it to the filler, to broaden the aroma of a cigar, and improve the combustion.

In harvesting all of my tobacco, I set aside the small tip leaf (by variety). This usually kilns to a deep brown, sometimes almost black. It is also fairly potent. A single strip of dark tip leaf will add some dimension to an otherwise mild and bland cigar. Tips sometimes provide a sweet oscuro wrapper for a small cigar, though it's a bit difficult to work with as a wrapper.

Bob
 

Chris A

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2012
Messages
286
Points
28
Location
Central Illinois
Bob-

Could you define "a single strip"? Do you mean a half leaf or is it less? I have some Oscuro wrapper that I don't really care for as wrapper, perhaps as filler?

Side note-The photo above was taken at Iwan Reis in Chicago. I've been told there used to be many cigar lounges like it in Illinois but it is now a dinosaur. One of the only places you can legally smoke indoors.

Chris
 

quo155

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2014
Messages
259
Points
0
Location
NE Texas, USA
Very purdy! And...sounds great!

I just love seeing all of the "recipes" here on FTT. Thanks!
 

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
May 25, 2011
Messages
26,547
Points
113
Location
near Blacksburg, VA
By "strip," I usually mean a half leaf. (Start with a whole leaf. Remove the stem. You get 2 strips.) But the quantity of a condiment tobacco is always a matter of preference.

Bob
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top