Dominican Olor Not Curing

Red Lime

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2022
Messages
137
Points
63
Location
Austria
My entire Dominican Olor did not manage to change color when air-dried, but other types of tobacco did under the same conditions. Dominican Olor stayed green! Is there a special reason for this? Can I still use the green tobacco leaves, or should I throw them away?
 

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
May 25, 2011
Messages
26,534
Points
113
Location
near Blacksburg, VA
Dominican Olor stayed green!
Possible causes:
  1. The leaf was harvested before it was sufficiently mature.
  2. You attempted to color-cure them in a relative humidity that was too low.
Some forum members attempt various measures to salvage leaf that has dried green. I usually don't bother with that, and throw it away. Another option, since it is a cigar variety, is to try it as a candela (green) cigar wrapper.

Bob
 

Red Lime

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2022
Messages
137
Points
63
Location
Austria
I'm just thinking about the Dominican Olor. I planted it out on May 13th and according to my records I harvested it on August 14th. According to NWT-Seeds, this flowers 60 days later. Does that mean 60 days after sowing or 60 days after planting? Depending on that, would that be possible with the harvest time of August 14th? That's why I'm thinking about improving the harvest time this year. Also, I'm just thinking about what mistake I made. I may have given too much nitrogen too long and thus delayed ripening, which may be why it didn't ripen for me. Can this be?
 

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
May 25, 2011
Messages
26,534
Points
113
Location
near Blacksburg, VA
I would not pay attention to time and dates, when you decide to harvest. [Blossom time is the average days after transplant until 50% of those plants show at least 1 open blossom.] Harvest time is when the leaf appears mature. When you see a slight yellowing of the edge at the tip of a leaf, that leaf can be primed.

Bob
 
Top