Filing Cabinet Kiln

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markw

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2012
Messages
579
Points
18
Location
South East London UK
I never had time to make my kiln this summer, but now most of the leaf is now dry I was thinking that the next step would be to find time to make a kiln.
I have read many threads regarding making and how to make a good kiln. I was thinking this morning I could use a filing cabinet the ones for drop files as they already have a hanging rail in them and three or four draws.
I was thinking that they are pretty air tight apart for the draws. I have worked out a way to resolve this problem. Just thinking if anyone had used one in the past. It would be covered with insulation I can just stick it onto the outer steel sheet.

Just thinking what everyone thinks of the idea or should I use an old fridge.

Markw
 

Jitterbugdude

Moderator
Founding Member
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
4,266
Points
113
Location
Northeast Maryland
MarkW,
Sounds good... so far. What are you going to use for a water source? You also might have rust problems with it being all metal.
Randy B
 

leverhead

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2012
Messages
3,204
Points
83
Location
Grimes County Texas
It sounds good to me also. If you insulate it well on the out side, you shouldn't have too many problems with condensation. Look for lubricant on the draw slides, otherwise run it empty for a few days to drive out off odors. Don't forget to insulate under it also.
 

Markw

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2012
Messages
579
Points
18
Location
South East London UK
MarkW,
Sounds good... so far. What are you going to use for a water source? You also might have rust problems with it being all metal.
Randy B

Yes I was thinking that there could be a rust problem, I am planning on painting the inside with a special rubber paint that I have in the garage. As for the water source I was thinking of making a bunded area at the bottom of the cabinet while using the rubber paint I would drill through the side of the cabinet and fix a hose for filling if the water level drops.

I was thinking of using a heater pad in the water as the heat source. it would save a lot of space than using a crock pot.
Just thinking what size heater pad I would need Thinking about 100 watts might do.

Mark W
 

Markw

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2012
Messages
579
Points
18
Location
South East London UK
I'd be careful with paint!

Hi Leverhead.
It is a rubber coating that is food grade, it is made by a company on your side of the pond, it is call CIM 600 it was made by Chevron. It cost a fortune over here, but I have a few tins left over from a job
 

leverhead

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2012
Messages
3,204
Points
83
Location
Grimes County Texas
I think I'd make a test panel and put it in the oven a little warmer than what you want to use it at. Not all food grade stuff is pleasant.
 

Markw

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2012
Messages
579
Points
18
Location
South East London UK
Thanks Leverhead.
I would do that just to be on the safe side, but it should be fine as it is for drinking water tanks, and has a working temperature up to 180f .
Better safe than sorry.

Markw
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top