How do you go about kilning?

How do you kiln your leaf?

  • I don’t, just use Father Time

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    8
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Davo

Ahi Ka - Well-Known Member
Joined
May 15, 2020
Messages
386
Points
93
Location
Aotearoa
About to crank into my first kiln run next week or so.

I’m leaning towards sweating my leaf inside sealed bags or a container.

However space is not an issue. I could easily hang a dozen or more bunches of leaf.

For some reason I feel using a container appears easier. It’s most probably fool’s logic.

how do you do yours?
 

Knucklehead

Moderator
Founding Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2012
Messages
12,777
Points
113
Location
NE Alabama
This was my last batch. After curing, I dry the leaf until the stems are crispy, crunchy, dry and then rehydrate the leaf enough to be able to handle them and tie them into hands. In the photo I have some hands hanging from racks and some just sitting on top of the racks. I haven’t used containers but I think you would have just as much luck as long as the humidity and temps are in the sweet spot. I haven’t grown since 2015 so my methods might be old school by now. This forum and the experimenters here are a great resource.

1617659681607.jpeg

edit: i can’t get the thumbnail to enlarge. Here’s the post:

 

LeftyRighty

Moderator
Founding Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
516
Points
63
Location
west central MO
I've hung loose bundles,
and hung very large tight bundles, tied with strings so the leaves don't touch the walls of the kiln,
and laid leaf in open-top box
and laid leaf open on a shelf, sometimes matted down and over 2 feet thick, break down & re-stack about 2 x a week so they don't decompose.
It all works, just monitor temp & RH
I've never understood 'sealing in a bag/container', don't know your done if you can't smell the ammonia.
 

ChinaVoodoo

Moderator
Joined
Sep 1, 2014
Messages
7,220
Points
113
Location
Edmonton, AB, CA
I've never understood 'sealing in a bag/container', don't know your done if you can't smell the ammonia.
I have to confess that I've never smelled ammonia from homegrown, and I've kilned WLT cigar leaf and not smelled ammonia. I am capable of smelling ammonia, but I work in a darkroom and I let my developer get really old in which case it starts to smell like urea. It does get ammonia smell if there's a leak in the tank, but I wonder if that's just an extreme situation and that I'm just used to ammonia.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top