Kiln proportions

Status
Not open for further replies.

gargynko

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2014
Messages
71
Points
0
Location
Slovakia, Trencin
Hi, I ve planted about 200 plants this year and I plan building a kiln. I would like to do kilning of maximum 3 rounds for whole yeld so could you please advise me how big my kiln supposed to be?? I will use AmaxB's method of kilning in plastic boxes. My kiln will be built of OSB boards insulated by polystyrene. I just wonder how big it must be to meet my requirements. Thank you for your answers!
 

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2011
Messages
4,631
Points
83
Location
FLORIDA
its nice to have too much room. instead of not enough room...

i use a old 70's era camper that i gutted and framed up the back half.

plenty of room. to '' get in there'' and move around.

that same area also doubles as a grow room. where i start everything. from bacca to veggies. to yard flowers.
 

gargynko

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2014
Messages
71
Points
0
Location
Slovakia, Trencin
Thank you guys! You are right, Too much better than not enough. Still wondering about overall arrangement but I ve already got an idea...
 

DGBAMA

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2013
Messages
4,418
Points
63
Location
NORTH ALABAMA
My box is fairly large. 4 wide 8 tall,2 deep. One thing I noted last year was difficulty keeping top and bottom temp the same (heat rises). If I had the floor space I would keep the size, but set it up more like a chest than an upright.
 

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
May 25, 2011
Messages
26,540
Points
113
Location
near Blacksburg, VA
For just kilning (as opposed to flue-curing), remember that you've got the entire winter (12 one-month runs) to get your crop done.

To determine the smallest total kiln capacity for getting a crop kilned over a 12 month period, it needs to hold only 1/12 of your crop. Selling finished leaf into a commercial market requires that the entire crop be ready at a specific time. For home growing, you can spread the kilning load (and the required work) over the slower, winter months.

Advantages of a smaller kiln:
  • requires less floor space
  • is more easily moved
  • reduces the risk of a catastrophe in a single batch
  • is cheaper to build

I'm not advocating a very small kiln. My two kilns are too small for my needs. But a middle road is worth considering, when starting from scratch.

Bob
 

LeftyRighty

Moderator
Founding Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
516
Points
63
Location
west central MO
right on, Bob....
and your kiln can be used for other than just fermenting. I use mine to bring the leaf back into case, whenever it dries out too much. Just put the leaf in the kiln, at the 115-125 range, and throw in a wad of wet rags for added moisture. This will bring a bundle of leaf into case in a few hours or overnight. A thick bale of leaf may take a few days, but it's easy to do. I prefer this over spritzing the leaf with water as the leaf moisture is more uniform throughout.

As I am starting to brew my own beer, and am growing hops and barley. I can use the kiln for drying the hops (dry crockpot heat), and working on system for malting the barley in the kiln.
 

gargynko

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2014
Messages
71
Points
0
Location
Slovakia, Trencin
Thank you for helpful hints, I will make my decision and will update this thread...I hope with pics of finished kiln also :)
 

LeftyRighty

Moderator
Founding Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
516
Points
63
Location
west central MO
You are right but non stop kilning would be expensive considering power consumption wouldnt be??
I had 100+ plants in 2013, these were air-cured and remained in my shed until this spring (weather conditions prevented getting them into case for de-ribbing and baling). All this crop was ferminted in one 4-week ferment. That's the only use of the kiln in the last year. Power consumption for a crockpot-on-low is cheap, cheap, cheap.

In my proposed use for hops and malting barley, I think I can get a year's crop of 3 hops plants dried in a few days max. And barley can be malted and dried in less that a week.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top