the deed is done

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
May 25, 2011
Messages
26,535
Points
113
Location
near Blacksburg, VA
Starting over 100 years ago, many South American and Central American countries hired Cuban tobacco experts to come and improve their cigar tobacco practices. So cigar tobacco seed from Cuba's Vuelta Abajo region ended up scattered throughout South and Central America. (The Peruvian cigar tobacco from Machu Picchu [collected in 1936], called "Havana" in Stadelman's correspondence, is what I have previously called simply "Machu Picchu." It may well be derived from Vuelta Abajo seed. I have noticed some striking similarities. Even if true, I would consider it to be not identical to the named Vuelta Abajo that I've grown. But the Machu Picchu Havana is definitely a Spanish-type cigar variety.)

The catch is that 100 years ago, the methods of producing seed for tobacco in Cuba was fairly haphazard. The result is that su Vuelta Abajo may not be mi Vuelta Abajo.

Bob
 

Markw

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2012
Messages
579
Points
18
Location
South East London UK
I don't like to go off topic but Ben is growing V:A this year. I find it interesting cross referencing the information, it would have been good to try the two plants together. The Spanish have been shipping tobacco all over the place for hundreds of years. It makes me think was the Cuban tobacco native to the island, or was it shipped there by the Spanish many hundreds of years ago from a country in South America.
 

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
May 25, 2011
Messages
26,535
Points
113
Location
near Blacksburg, VA
...was the Cuban tobacco native to the island, or was it shipped there by the Spanish many hundreds of years ago from a country in South America.
I'm afraid that information is lost in the mists of many centuries. It's been fairly well established that Nicotiana tabacum first originated somewhere along the eastern slopes of the Andes. And, of course, the Taino natives of the Caribbean arrived over the water from Central/South America, and were using the large-leaf tobacco at the time of Columbus' first voyage.

Bob
 

Jack in NB

Well-Known Member
Founding Member
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
242
Points
28
Location
Fredericton NB Canada
That drip irrigation has worked for me for several years now. I didn't have to use it this past summer, but it's good insurance. Mine is placed beneath 4' wide black plastic mulch that the veggie growers use. The irrigation tape is going into it's 7th season, and the black plastic will see year 4 (and probably it's last) in 2014.

The first year with the mulch I used it on half the patch, none on the rest - and the mulched plants gave me twice the leaf weight. Plus no weeding - a real boon. I'm guessing it was the result of no weed competition plus moisture conservation.
 

Ben Brand

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2012
Messages
1,169
Points
63
Location
Groblersdal, South Africa
Very dry, very hot, with low humidity, I water in the morning, about 1 hr using 2lt/hr drippers, when the plants grow bigger I water in the morning and evening, depending on rain fall. Every week I dig a hole between plants to check the moisture level. I had the dripper lines available to me that`s why I use them, also help with the weeds between rows. Like to keep the patch weed free, I beleive thats where most of the insects come from, hiding in the weeds.
Lived in the UK for a few years, and I know it will be much more difficult to grow tobacco there. Dont know about the States. We all have diffirent growing conditions.
Ben
 

Ben Brand

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2012
Messages
1,169
Points
63
Location
Groblersdal, South Africa
Todd
Dont know about reducing nicotine levels, know it reduces nitrogen and oxygen levels if giving to much water,washing the fertilisers away from the roots, but that will happen with any irrigation system. I also heard that overhead irrigation washes away some of the oils on the tobacco leaf, don`t know true that is???
Ben
 

jekylnz

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2013
Messages
1,357
Points
48
Location
Auckland, New Zealand, New Zealand
Todd
Dont know about reducing nicotine levels, know it reduces nitrogen and oxygen levels if giving to much water,washing the fertilisers away from the roots, but that will happen with any irrigation system. I also heard that overhead irrigation washes away some of the oils on the tobacco leaf, don`t know true that is???
Ben
I just remember seeing nicotine analysis charts that stated nicotine at irrigated levels and non irrigated levels? ?
And other posts etc.
13864078683811.jpg
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top