weather station for kiln monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2013
Messages
4,418
Points
63
Location
NORTH ALABAMA
Found an indoor/outdoor weather monitor that shows temp and humidity. Says good up to 160 deg. Thinking I could place the outdoor sensor inside the chamber. Any thoughts?
 

johnlee1933

Moderator
Founding Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2011
Messages
3,970
Points
0
Location
Near Danbury, CT
Found an indoor/outdoor weather monitor that shows temp and humidity. Says good up to 160 deg. Thinking I could place the outdoor sensor inside the chamber. Any thoughts?
These units communicate by radio waves. Put your transmitter inside your kiln and see if it does talk to the reciever. If your kiln is an old fridge, steel skin, like mine it may not work. If your kiln is wood or foam walls it should work well. As a caution -- high humidity may eventually kill it.
 

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
May 25, 2011
Messages
26,540
Points
113
Location
near Blacksburg, VA
I used one (Accurite, rated to 160ºF functional range) in my small wooden kiln. The signal was always week, and the electrical noise of the water heater thermostat interfered. The alkaline batteries tend to cook fairly quickly, and the device itself (the remote) failed to function after about 1 year (and many sets of batteries).

Bob
 

BarG

Founding Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2011
Messages
5,120
Points
113
Location
Texas, Brazos Vally
I use a deep frier thermometer with an adj. marker for desired temp and regular $3.00 temperature gauge with rh incorporated to maintain humidity. The only adjustments I needed over a month was to position the lid to allow more or less moisture a couple times.
Out of three kilnings 2 last winter and 1 this summer, adding the very small fan and keeping the crockpot at med. temp maintained my temp and humidity.[A refriderator kiln.] The first 2-4 days the lid was comepletly off till all the leaf equalized in moisture. They say third times a charm.
 

DGBAMA

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2013
Messages
4,418
Points
63
Location
NORTH ALABAMA
Thanks all. Keep input coming. Was looking for a dead freezer to convert but today came across 4 4x8 sheets of 2" thick foam insulation board for free so the build is on....and this way I can build a rack system easier.

Plan was to only air cure this year but our screwy southern weather this year is not going to let that happen.
 

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2011
Messages
4,631
Points
83
Location
FLORIDA
i use a temp... and humidity guages, about 4 of each.

placed in different locations,
 

LeftyRighty

Moderator
Founding Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
516
Points
63
Location
west central MO
I've used one for several years. My remote lasted 3 years, both outside in the shed for air-cure, and winter-time use in the fermenting kiln. Generally, 2 sets of batteries per year. Temperature always seemed accurate, but RH needs to be checked and adjusted - never correct.

Simple check for Relative Humidity --- Put table salt slurry in a small bowl or cup (mix salt & water to consistency of oatmeal, 1/4-1/3 cup). Place salt slurry and remote in large plastic bag (gallon size Zip-Loc), not touching, seal and let stand overnight. RH meter should read 75%. If it reads near 75%, good to go. If it reads, say 65%, then you know your are 10% off, and will need to add 10% to any readings made by the meter. These RH meters cannot be adjusted, you just have to live with whatever error. If RH is really important to you, check the meter a few times per season, as things can easily vary.
 

Knucklehead

Moderator
Founding Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2012
Messages
12,777
Points
113
Location
NE Alabama
They are handy. I don't know about kilning, but I keep my remote in the shop with the color curing leaf and can keep tabs on temp. and humidity from the house. Easy to get an idea of the average without running back and forth several times day and night to check.
 

DGBAMA

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2013
Messages
4,418
Points
63
Location
NORTH ALABAMA
No need to be fancy. Do not need to monitor from in the house. I will be happy if it works.
 

DonH

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2012
Messages
1,609
Points
0
Location
Massachusetts
I like the looks and operation of that one. The probe would be great, batteries, most electronics, etc. stay outside the kiln.
The other thing I like about it is that it will record highs and lows for any period after you hit Reset.
 

Knucklehead

Moderator
Founding Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2012
Messages
12,777
Points
113
Location
NE Alabama
The other thing I like about it is that it will record highs and lows for any period after you hit Reset.

Cost could even out with a water heater thermostat instead of a Ranco and associated monitoring equipment.
 

DGBAMA

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2013
Messages
4,418
Points
63
Location
NORTH ALABAMA
I am up and test running. Will start a new thread. Styrofoam kiln. Not as precise as I would like but I think it will do well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top