drum roll please

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArizonaDave

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2014
Messages
2,228
Points
83
Location
Phoenix, AZ (east valley)
Hmm, I'm wondering if it's too late to join? Have a bunch of new leaves coming in this week from WLT. I could potentially get them in the mail in a week, with time to spare?
 

buck

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2013
Messages
632
Points
63
Location
Vancouver BC Canada
Tried rolling one this evening and much much harder than it looks. I gave up , rolled a normal stick and smoked it .. Going to try again tomorrow night ...
 

webmost

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2013
Messages
1,908
Points
113
Location
Newark DE
Hmm, I'm wondering if it's too late to join? Have a bunch of new leaves coming in this week from WLT. I could potentially get them in the mail in a week, with time to spare?

AZ Dave, shoot me your address in a private message. I'll mail you out an example drumstick. I still have a couple left.

Ben Brand, this particular birthday has already been put off for sixty six years now. I wish it would wait another 66, I could do a better job of it. But it won't.
 

webmost

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2013
Messages
1,908
Points
113
Location
Newark DE
ArizonaDave is in, and, get this: AZD claims he can roll a drumstick without an example, just from memory, left handed, blindfolded, while whistling the Marseillaise. That's right. Either that desert heat (but it's a dry heat) has dessicated his brain like a hornytoad in August, or else he may have his bolo tie pulled too tight.

Unless he just knows something we don't.

Now we got six FTT versus six c.com.

Who here knows where I can get a trophy cigar lighter made of turquoise and silver?
 

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Joined
Sep 30, 2013
Messages
1,863
Points
0
Location
Albuquerque New Mexico (USA)
Old Town in Albuquerque NM...... AZD, Thanks for getting in, I was hopeing You would get antsy and do it LOL. Now for the desert heat, That could be- I do it as well Ha Ha. AZD got a grow on this year- so anything can go. Mad-
 

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
May 25, 2011
Messages
26,540
Points
113
Location
near Blacksburg, VA
Inadvertent Drumstick

Each morning of my life these days, I stand at the kitchen counter, and roll a breakfast cigar while the coffee slowly drips into my 14 ounce mug. Occasionally, I'm lucid enough to make a specific blend in a specific shape. But more often, in my caffeine-deficient stupor, I just go through the motions, and surprise myself. It's not that I'm clumsy at that point of the day, but just foggy. Inattentive. Unfocused.

This morning, I carried my computer out to the front porch, retrieved my coffee, and lit up whatever the cigar gods had inspired me to roll.

As far as taste is concerned, this cigar gets a B-, whatever the heck the filler is. The wrapper is a reasonably smooth, though slightly mottled, FL Sumatra lug. After a few puffs and a few sips, the fog lifted.

Something about a drumstick. Why should I care? Oh! Webmost. Webmost is doing a CNN Special Report on drumsticks. This one's a drumstick.

So, I immediately grabbed the camera.

Garden20140604_1204_FLSumatra_drumstick_600.jpg

Deluxestogie drumstickoid breakfast cigar of uncertain parentage.

And that's the truth, Your Honor. I swear.

Bob
 

Ben Brand

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2012
Messages
1,169
Points
63
Location
Groblersdal, South Africa
That`s a mighty fine cigar Bob. Don`t you want to send one of yours to Webmost, just put my name on it. I will share the price with you......But I suppose that will be cheating, and we don`t do that.
Enjoy those breakfast cigars!!!! What goes with it, beacon, eggs or the pancakes you Americans like to eat with syrup, mmmm maybe grits and sausage, or grits and cheese......damn now I`m hungry!!!!!
 

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
May 25, 2011
Messages
26,540
Points
113
Location
near Blacksburg, VA
Enjoy those breakfast cigars!!!! What goes with it, beacon, eggs or the pancakes you Americans like to eat with syrup, mmmm maybe grits and sausage, or grits and cheese......damn now I`m hungry!!!!!
Only strong coffee and a cigar...occasionally a drumstick.

Bob
 

webmost

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2013
Messages
1,908
Points
113
Location
Newark DE
Inadvertent Drumstick

Why should I care? Oh! Webmost. Webmost is doing a CNN Special Report on drumsticks. This one's a drumstick.

Garden20140604_1204_FLSumatra_drumstick_600.jpg

Deluxestogie drumstickoid breakfast cigar of uncertain parentage.
Send me the ashes of that one and you're in!
 

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
May 25, 2011
Messages
26,540
Points
113
Location
near Blacksburg, VA
Although I would like to blame the eccentricity of the foot taper on bleary eyes, most of my perfecto tips are lopsided.

Since the body of the cigar must be tilted (lifted up) to ~45º from the board surface, while rolling the tapered foot, its axis doesn't doesn't stay oriented to the secondary leaf veins of the wrapper. Even though I cut a cove (slight fishhook) in the outer wrapper edge, when trimming it prior to rolling, and start the cigar bunch at a right angle to the wrapper veins, it's that transition from tilted cigar to lying flat and parallel that drives me bonkers.

Most often, I end up with either a lacy wrapper frill at the transition point, or a lopsided foot.

The conundrum is demonstrated by the motion of a child's toy spinning top--the kind shaped like a beet. If you lay it on a surface, and give it a nudge, it doesn't roll away from you (like rolling a cigar parallel to the wrapper veins). Instead, it rolls in a tight circle.

I believe the entire problem rests in the initial fishhook trimming of the wrapper. I just haven't figured that out.

Bob
 

webmost

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2013
Messages
1,908
Points
113
Location
Newark DE
Bob

Let me send you a small selection of machine rolled perfectos from my fab friends at FXSS. Just whip out your Xacto and unpeel the wrapper off one, then unroll the binder. You'd be surprised how little leaf they use. These parts are die-cut, of course, with absolute consistent regularity. The design is proven over a century to use the least whole leaf yet work every time. The binder is a simple trapezoid with truncated acute corners. The wrappers have the same type of truncated acute corner on the one end and a curlicue appended to the other. I cut some templates out of flashing using a wrapper and binder like these as patterns. I dunno whether these would help you, cause of course there's gonna be some diff between hand and machine makery, but they sure do give a guy some thinking room.

Do I have your address? Prolly; but I would have to hunt all up and down. So PM me your addy if you would. It would give me great pleasure to send you something.

Some day I gotta get down there.
 

quo155

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2014
Messages
259
Points
0
Location
NE Texas, USA
This drum roll, one of my top three favorite shapes...is getting more and more interesting as you guys attempt them, dissect them, and explain them.
 

webmost

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2013
Messages
1,908
Points
113
Location
Newark DE
Never mind deluxe, I found your address. I sent you similar before, but you may not have thought of disassembling them. I will trace out paper patterns of the sheet metal ones I made and enclose them. I'll throw some other goodness in as well.

I find it easy enough to roll round the head of a perfecto. It's the foot that gives me fits.
 

webmost

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2013
Messages
1,908
Points
113
Location
Newark DE
MorganGeo at cigar.com entered a couple of real wet sticks. I don't mean high case; I don't mean damp; I mean wet. Morgan went geo splashing. These two sticks on either side of the drumstick model are so wet that the baggie they traveled in had dew inside it. The Padilla Miami riding in the box with them, it's cellophane is stuck to the cigar with dampage. The box felt twice as heavy as it should have.

morgangeodrumstick.jpg


So here's the good part of all that: Once that soaked wrapper dries up, it is going to pack the innerds nice and tight. Which the filler inside the shorter one with the taper, they are already nicely packed.

And from the smell, I figure this cigar, and the cheroot, are gonna taste righteous fine.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top