Pasta Maker revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 2, 2012
Messages
450
Points
0
Location
Canon City CO
Wow Don, that is a very kind and generous offer. I'd be happy to help you test the shredder. I would be willing to buy one and still test it out. After my abysmal failure at creating a cig blend it would be nice to do something helpful. Machines are something that I understand and I happen to have maybe 7 or 8 lbs that need to be shredded.
 

Fisherman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2013
Messages
827
Points
0
Location
Port Lavaca, Texas
I use the pasta maker and really like it.

SOme drawbacks that most people cite have to opposite effect on me. I use the Powermatic 11 to roll and have a tendency to "over-stuff" my sticks. When using the pasta maker the result as is stated is that the cut is as long as the leaf used, which helps me in not overstuffing the stick. :)

Also some say to use dry case leaf and I find the opposite. My unit I lightly scored the rollers. not at all like Mr FM's rollers on his new unit! Also in scoring my rollers, I think I almost ruined machine while bearing down on it with the tool i used to score it with. Mr FM's unit has me sold already............ Am ready to buy regardless of testing results. While confident that the pasta maker will hold up, i think that getting in on ground level of this new unit would open a lot of doors in the future as well.

Mike
 

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Joined
May 17, 2011
Messages
5,313
Points
113
Location
Freedom, Ohio, United States
Just finished running more testing. The housing issues have been resolved. Mechanically, the machine is sound and efficient. The manually operated version will shred as fast as the leaf can be fed. The clapping mechanism holds the unit firmly and allows for a truly "one person" operation.

The packaging is sufficient, but has room for improvement. We're going to start manufacturing these shredders and continue to modify the packaging.

I don't want to give away too many details as I want the candid replies from the testers to be unbiased. We should have the testing models completed by the end of next week.
 

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Joined
May 17, 2011
Messages
5,313
Points
113
Location
Freedom, Ohio, United States
nice! has it got more durable gears?

The gears were a part of the problem or more specifically, the tolerance in the I.D. created a very small contact point on the shaft. It was at this point where all of the torque was delivered and caused the gear to spin. The gears on the new model at tacked and will not spin.
 

DGBAMA

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2013
Messages
4,418
Points
63
Location
NORTH ALABAMA
If durability becomes an issue, the shaft and ID of the gear can be "splined" as a more durable solution to the slipping problem.

BTW put me in line for one.
 

bryonlr

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2012
Messages
87
Points
8
Location
Columbus, In.
Hey Don, This is what ive been waiting on. If you will kindly put one of theese in with my baccy order, I will certainly put it through a rigorous test and report what any improvements it might need. Just email me the added cost of shipping, thanks
 

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Joined
May 17, 2011
Messages
5,313
Points
113
Location
Freedom, Ohio, United States
Long story...

the short version...after being told (sold) a bunch of hog wash, they can't be produced below a cost that would make the Powermatic shredder a better investment.

Somebody needs to come up with a solution. There is a ton of money to be had selling them.
 

Fisherman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2013
Messages
827
Points
0
Location
Port Lavaca, Texas
Put me down for one also. I need a manual injector for the hurricane season as well.

Hello Miss BeeKeeper. Most of your missing kitchen aids are the fault of one of your pets no doubt. Most of us men full understand the rules of no touching the cooks tools. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top